Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I have a Codicil from my grandmother that was signed after

Customer Question

hello, I have a Codicil from my grandmother that was signed after her will who has passed property to me. It has been witnessed by 2 people and notarized. A third party is challenging the Codicil because it does not say in writing that the 2 witness my grandmother signing. does it have to say that in writing? thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what additional details are you asking for?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

A third party is challenging the Codicil because it does not say in writing that the 2 witness my grandmother signing. does it have to say that in writing?

.

No, it doesn't have to specifically state that. If the 3rd party wanted to challenge this in court, the witnesses and the notary could be subpoenaed to come to court and testify that they did indeed witness the testator signing the Codicil so as to put the matter to rest.

.

.

thanks