LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

My mothers lawyer has died and need a copy of her power of

Customer Question

My mothers lawyer has died and need a copy of her power of attorney. How do I find out who was named the trustee for the lawyers files?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this.

When an attorney dies, there are a couple of ways to access the client files.

http://www.americanbar.org/newsletter/publications/gp_solo_magazine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/masaleris.html

One way is to contact an associate of the firm, if there are partners.

Another is to find out who the personal representative of the estate is, as they will have access and control of all pertinent assets.

The other is to attempt to locate the receptionist.

One can find out who the trustee is by checking with the state's secretary to see if the business was registered; if so who the registered agent is; or by checking the ownership of the property, if the law firm owned the property.

If the lawyer had a will, there would be a probate estate; the executor would file in the county where the attorney resided.

Probate/surrogate records are a matter of public record, so the public can access this information.

As for obtaining a copy of a power of attorney, any bank or financial institution that was provided with a copy will still have it on file in most instances; it can be requested that they provide a copy to the agent or the principal.

This is the division that helps in such instances: Client-Attorney Assistance Program (CAAP) at(###) ###-####or(###) ###-#### ***** 1790 to request their assistanc

Another route is to contact the building supervisor/owner, as the client actually owns his/her file, and so the file can be released directly to the client (or his/her agent)

The owner can be determined by going to the recorder's office and looking up the owner by using the address of the property.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

THANK YOU!