LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.
15277592

My husband passed away 5/4/15, he was receiving SSA

Customer Question

My husband passed away 5/4/15, he was receiving SSA benefits, and was due payment for April which he would have received in May.
I filed the forms they requested, still don't seem to be able to get his final payment. Now they tell me no request for payment can be sent till February 2016. Is there anything that can be done to collect this payment?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you are aware, social security benefits are paid a month in arrears. And because your husband died in May, he would not have been eligible for a may benefit payment which would have been paid in June. The past payment that he was eligible for was for April 2015, and which would have been paid to him/you in May of 2015.

If you still have not received the payment that was due in May, and you filed all the claim paperwork that you could, then there is really nothing more you can do other than pester the heck out of social security to process the claim for you. I am sorry.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug