Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Experience:  29 Years in General Practice and Estate Planning
68197583

My sister died 1989 and worked Edison Queens NYC approx

Customer Question

My sister died 1989 and worked for Con Edison Queens NYC approx 1982- 1986. I believe she was owed stock at the time of her death. I cannot find any evidence now but I did see it online years ago. I told her daughter but she was concerned she would not be able to claim it because my sister used two different social security numbers. What do you suggest? My nephew could greatly benefit from any thing due him. Thank you.
Denise Kronberger MSW
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome Denise and thank you for your question. Did your sister leave a will?

Expert:  Attorney2 replied 1 year ago.

I would not necessarily be concerned with regard to social security numbers. You can engage in a search to find out if indeed she does own stock. The Executor of her Will or her personal representative would have the ability to sell the stock.

There are several ways that you can find out whether your sister owns shares of stock. The first would be to have her executor/personal representative of her estate contact the company’s investor relations department directly.

Contact Information

Investor Relations
4 Irving Place, Room 700
New York, NY 10003***@******.***

“The shares will either be held by the state where the stockholder lived when they bought the stock or in the state where the company is based or in the state in which it is incorporated. So the key is to search at least those three states and --thanks to the internet—you can actually search all 50 states fairly easily, just to be thorough. Here are the two key FREE websites you will use: “

www.MissingMoney.com

The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) has set up a free website at www.unclaimed.org

that will link you to the appropriate department in each state that holds unclaimed funds.” http://abcnews.go.com/Business/MadeInAmerica/unclaimed-money-stocks-tracking-shares-lost-track/story?id=15355832

Another way is to follow these steps

• For current and historical ownership use Capital IQ:

1. Enter company name in top search box

2. Select Public or Private Ownership under Investors from the left navigation bar.

3. For historical holdings of the top holders, select View All by Top Holders

4. Select History tab on the top of screen

5. To save, select Excel from the left corner

For historical ownership use Thomson Reuters in WRDS:

http://asklib.library.hbs.edu/faq/47368

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I may receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

Thank you for using JA!