RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

I inherited a property per a living will. There is question

Customer Question

I inherited a property per a living will. There is question regarding who owns the property and who is responsible for fees to move the deed. There was not a transfer after death so I understand the property has to go through probate. During probate who is responsible for the property and legal fees associated with the property the estate or am I? The property is in the state of Wisconsin.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

If the title is still in the deceased's persons name and then part of the estate the estate pays here until the property is transferred into your name.The estate should pay until then.If the estate doesn't pay here you can pay the taxes to protect your asset and file a creditor claim against the estate.Either way the estate pays if this is an estate asset and not yet titled into your name here in Wisconsin under the probate law.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you! Very Helpful! The title is still the deceased's name.

Then the estate should pay here since they are title holder.If they will not do so then you could pay and make creditor claim for reimbursement as a last resort.But here the estate should pay until transfer.They are liable until transfer has been done.

You are welcome , glad to help you.