Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I had a copy of my mother's trust but never read it. She had

Customer Question

I had a copy of my mother's trust but never read it. She had a freak accident and died and my father (who was separted from her but not divorced) asked me for my copy the day she died, stating he neede to see it. I was obviously in a state of shock,and had forgotton he had his own. Therefore, I gave to him and have never seenit or the contents again.He has obviously never given me back the my copy. I know she willed me all her jewelrey , I'm unsure what else she left to me or her grandchildren. Do I have a right to get a copy of the trust? If so how do I go about it
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, you have a right to get a copy of the trust. You need to ask your father for it. If your father will not give it to you, then you need to check with the trustee or trust attorney. If that fails, then you need to consider that you have to go to court and sue the trust which means you need an attorney to represent you in that endeavor.
The trustee must provide a copy of the trust to the beneficiary based on the part of the trust the beneficiary's entitlement.