How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34781
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step-mother passed away on 2 Jan 2016. She was receiving

Customer Question

My step-mother passed away on 2 Jan 2016. She was receiving my father's social security; as his only biological child, am I eligible to receive his social security now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes and ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


A child can receive a parent's SS benefits in very limited circumstances. If you are a minor, then you would be eligible until you legally become an adult over the age of 18. Otherwise, if you are already an adult, you would have to have been declared permanently disabled before the age of 22 and remain disabled.


But if you don't fall into one of those two categories, then unfortunately you would not be eligible to receive SS benefits on father's account.





Related Estate Law Questions