LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

My husband used my identity years without my knowledge or

Customer Question

My husband used my identity for many years without my knowledge or consent. He just passed away and I am stuck with all his bills. Am I responsible for them, if he forged my signature?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 10 months ago.

Thank you; a few minutes please as I look into this for you; my sympathies for your situation.

Pursuant to the following statute (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0061/0061.html)

the nonmarital property of the person forging the document would first be liable;

if there is insufficient nonmarital property, then the marital property would be used because a spouse is liable for the actions of the other spouse.

The problem is also that the court will require a handwriting expert to verify that the spouse forged the documents, which is a very expensive process; and if the debt is for the necessities of life (food, medicine, etc) the marital property is liable under that theory.

I know this is probably not the answer you wish but I could only locate a statute that stated otherwise; I hope this information is helpful as I am under a moral obligation to provide accurate information, so please take that into consideration when rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my husband was using this money for his personal use. I did not know about this until now. He was a big gambler.

If the company had reason to suspect the forgery, the court will typically dismiss the debt, based on the unclean hands theory (where a party cannot unduly gain financially based on their wrongdoing or knowledge of wrongdoing).

Otherwise, the spouse is typically responsible, because a spouse is responsible for the misconduct of the other, unfortunately.

So it will likely come down to whether the company knew or should have known of the forgery.