Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My mother **** ******* passed in 02/03/13, my sisters and I

Customer Question

My mother **** ******* passed in 02/03/13, my sisters and I were not informed of her passing. My Nephew didn't inform us of any problems that she was having. Apparently my mother fell, was taken to the hospital and then to a elderly care home. My mom died within 2 weeks, and layed in a funeral home for ten days. There wasn't a doctor that would sign her death certificate so they got an out of town doctor to sign. My Nephew stated on the death certificate he was her son and told everyone there were no living relatives. We found out she passed after a cousin went to visit. WE were shocked with the news and it's be a horrible thing to deal with. I sent my nephew a certified letter wanting to know what happened, he told local law enforcement I threathed him, the sheriff department told me not to get intouch with him. He might have forged my mothers name on documents so no one would call her daughters. There wasn't any information given to us about my parents legal documents or what actully happened to my mother. Jimmy my nephew has a terrible temper and if provoked could loose the ability to be rasonal. My nephew has kept myself and my sisters form having closer. My mother was in good health. The doctor gave her a 65 year old bill of heath. My mom passed at 87 and my nephew and his wife changed doctors for her, my mother loved her doctor and would have never changed. I have the death certificate that shows my nephew signed as her son not her grandson. Do I have any legal recourse? He didn't inform us of anything and stated he was the only living relative. Thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Welcome and thank your for your question. I am an Arizona licensed attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. It is very sad when these situations occur and family members are not made aware of them. Do you know where your mother resided at the time of her death? Was she in Kingman? The first step is to what has been filed in probate court.