Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My father passed away 11-3-15. He lived in South Carolina.

Customer Question

My father passed away 11-3-15. He lived in South Carolina. In 2010 he put on his bank accounts and home as JOINT TENANT WITH THE RIGHT OF SVRVIVORSHIP. I would please
like to know if I'm reasonable for his outstanding medical bills in the state of South Carolina.
Thank You,Jeff
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You do not have to pay the bills from this account. The creditors, including the hospital, had the right to go after these assets while your dad was alive, but once he died, these assets vested automatically in you outside probate. In other words, at death, his estate's ownership in these accounts automatically terminated and thus the assets are yours. And, as long as you didn't sign anything making you personally liable for these hospital or medical bills, then you are not liable for them. You can simply, as you are doing, respond by sending the death certificate and informing the creditors that there are no probate assets to pay his debts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!