Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My 50 year old son dead in Nov 2015 did not have a

Customer Question

my 50 year old son dead in Nov 2015 did not have a beneficiary name on saving plan or other papers at his job. there was no spouse ,no children I was given his life insurance from his job to pay for arrangement as I was next in line for relatives. other Places want a legal document proving I am the one who handing the estate and a estate # ***** is no home involved . what I am I needing to get to show company that ask for documentation
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes and ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you tell me what other places are holding assets for son? (banks, brokers, etc.?)

.

Is there any land involved here?

.

Do you have an estimate for the value of the entire estate?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
saving plane at work, no land or home, value of estate 4,000 dollar

Ok, thank you for that information. With an estate that small, you can file a petition with the court for an order from the judge allowing you to receive the assets of the estate without opening a formal probate case.

.

Under Kentucky statute, if the estate of the decedent is sufficiently small as defined by §395.455, the personal representative of the decedent may receive, by order of the court, the assets of the estate without proceeding to a formal opening of an estate.

.

The limit is $15,000 so you are well under that and can file a petition with the court clerk in the county where son passed to get an order from the judge to give to anyone holding assets.

.

The local probate court clerk may have a template petition form for this so I would start with checking with them and ask them if they have a "small estate petition or affidavit" form.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much