Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My mother died in SC with only a copy of the notarized will

Customer Question

My mother died in SC with only a copy of the notarized will leaving estate to 3 daughters.
The attorney was the executor and he is now retired and office closed. All that is left
is $65,000 in a joint banking account of our mother and one sister. Must we go to probate court or can the sister on the joint bank account divide the money between the 3 of us?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

There is no need to go through probate if the only asset is a joint bank account. The funds in the account belong to the surviving joint owner and she can do with the money anything she wants, as far as distributing it. She needs no additional authorization.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.