Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

My mother passed in 1995 and left no will. I have been

Customer Question

My mother passed in 1995 and left no will. I have been paying the taxes on this Properity ever since. How much would it cost to get the Properity in my name. I have one older brother who will not contest this
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss and this situation. What you seek is a quick probate action to simply move the title from under her name and into yours. Which action specifically is hard to say from these few facts, since Texas allows 11 different ways of probate. But provided that this is an uncontested and quick matter, and there are no other assets aside from this property, an attorney would likely charge about $2,500 or thereabouts (either flat fee or hourly) for such an action. There are also filing fees, but these would generally not be more than about $250 to $400, depending on your county.

This is a very rough estimate, of course.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tks
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!