Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

My mother has dementia and my sister has power of attorney.

Customer Question

My mother has dementia and my sister has power of attorney. She is in an assisted living facility I live in a different state.My sister has taken the phone out of my mother's room leaving me incapable of speaking to her. What rights do I have?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, without a court order a child doesn't have any specific rights as to their parents. However, I have seen this issue raised with courts on numerous occasions, usually through some type of guardianship action, and the courts have always allowed contact between the children and the parents so long as there are no other issues (such as abuse in the past).

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.