Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My name is ***** *****. I am in a second marriage and my

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Davis. I am in a second marriage and my spouse anmd i
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: spouse and i want to buy a house with money coming from our prior marriage. We were thinking tenants in common so at my death she would control of the property until her death then each interest would go to our children by the first marriage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I agree that you want to own the property as tenants in common. That way you will each control your share of the house in your wills. In your wills, you will want to provide that your surviving spouse has a life estate with the remainder interest of your ownership going to your children upon the death of your surviving spouse. Any other ownership would put the control of 100% of the property in the surviving spouse upon the death of the first spouse, which would put the children of the first spouse to die at risk of being deprived of an eventual interest in the home.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!