P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

My mother is in a nursing home with dementia and

Customer Question

My mother is in a nursing home with dementia and Alzheimer's. She has a will. Does the will need to be registered at the court house? It is notarized and witnessed.
Also, I am her eldest and executor of her will. She had requested that she be cremated. I have been told that it will require the signature of two of my three siblings agreeing to her request. She is estranged from them and hasn't spoken to them in years.
Thank you
RV
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

There is NO Michigan law requiring a will be registered. You can...this provides a good way to keep track of the will. But the law does not require it

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My Mother has requested cremation. I was told by the funeral director that I need the signatures of two of my three siblings to proceed with a cremation when the time comes. I am the only child who cares for mom. My three younger siblings are all estranged and haven't spoken to her in years and have all stated they never wish to speak to her again.Do I need my siblings signatures?
Thank you,Russ

What you are describing is a "policy". There is no law that addresses this directly

If you are the executor of the estate, you can determine how mom's remains are disposed of.