Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My brother in law and my nephew (s stepson) inherited my

Customer Question

Customer: My brother in law and my nephew (his stepson) inherited my sisters and brother in laws house 3 years ago upon her death. She died without a will. My brother in law has been paying mortage, expenses, repairs and up keep of the house with no contributions from my nephew. We just recently found out that my nephew inherited 50% of the house. Is he required by law to pay 50% of the expenses? Should they decide to sell the house would the money that my brother in law has paid be deducted out of my nephews 50% of the profit on the house?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: is my question public for anyone to read?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Do they have an agreement regarding the sharing of expenses? Is your nephew a minor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No they don't and he is 24. We just found out he is co owner and my brother in law has been paying everything since her death
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Yes, there is a legal presumption that all co owners will share equally in the maintenance and upkeep of the property. The BIL can assert a claim for the co owner's share of taxes and expenses he has been paying.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.