RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

I am the personal representative parents estates in South

Customer Question

I am the personal representative for my parents estates in South Carolina. Dad passed away in February and Mom in November. The ***** ***** representative that I had to deal with regarding my mother's IRA distribution between my siblings and I has just told my brother how much money was in my mother's estate account (won't settle until next November), and has told my brother that he will be happy to give him any information he wants regarding my mother's estate funds. My brother is not even a customer of this man! Can ***** ***** give information regarding the funds that are in my mother's estate to anyone, especially since those funds are not in an ***** ***** account, but are in Wells Fargo? My brother and I are in communication, and he told me about this conversation. He said he never asked this guy anything about the status of money in my mother's estate, but rather, this information was offered up.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today.

It depends here on whether he is a named beneficiary of the account. If he is not then the answer is no they should only talk to you as personal representative.

Here the IRA if there are named beneficiaries is not part of the estate.If there are none named it passes through the estate and will or laws of intestacy.So it depends if anyone is named here.If they are not then the estate may have a claim for breach of privacy if information has been disclosed in this situation.

You need to see if anyone was named and then you will know if the estate is a party and they should talk to you alone here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.

I am sorry for the loss of your parents and all you have had to deal with.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you have an estate lawyer the lawyer should talk to these people to see who the beneficiaries are or if there are none then the information should only go to you or the estate lawyer here.The estate may have a claim for such a privacy violation as you present it.

Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.Take care and good luck here.