How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 114803
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister wants to give me guardianship of my two nieces, is

Customer Question

my sister wants to give me guardianship of my two nieces, is this something I can do ourselves or do we need to hire a lawyer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Guardianship forms that are simply signed by the parent and guardian are good for temporary guardianships of the general nature. For governmental issues, such as schools or even to place them on your health insurance, they require a court ordered guardianship.
You should use a local attorney if possible to make things go smoother, but if you cannot do so here are the Indiana forms for guardianship that need to be filed with the court to get a court ordered guardianship:

Related Estate Law Questions