Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

Regarding property inheritance....I heard that in MA all

Customer Question

Regarding property inheritance....I heard that in MA all siblings are entitled to equal shares of value regardless of what the will states...is this accurate?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Is there a surviving spouse?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If there is no surviving spouse then there was a law passed in 2012 that made some changes to the MA probate code.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code (MUPC) makes it more difficult to disinherit a child.

Under the new rules, a child is entitled to a share of the estate (up to $10,000) whether or not they are mentioned in the Will. If a testator wants to ensure that a child does not receive an inheritance, he/she must have specific language in the Will expressly stating the testator’s intent not to provide for a particular child and to exclude that child from the intestate provisions outlined above. Otherwise, despite the wishes of the testator, the child could still receive a share.