Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

I am 65 years old, the youngest of three siblings. My mother

Customer Question

I am 65 years old, the youngest of three siblings. My mother is 94 and probably has an estate worth $300,000 or more. I am somewhat estranged from the family after living away for more than 40 years.
I would like to know details of my mother's estate, i.e. banking accounts, life insurance, real estate holdings, existence of a will, beneficiaries and estate executor.
What rights do I have to this information? How can I obtain this information?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensd attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you planning to seek guardian or conservatorship of your mother? Is she incapable of managing her own affairs?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Unless you are her court appointed guardian, or have been given her power of attorney, you have no inherent legal right to your mother's private information (any more than any member of your family has a legal right to your private financial or medical information).

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you believe she is being abused or taken advantage of then you can report it to the police and the the local family services dept.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Otherwise, her affairs are her own to share or withhold at her own discretion.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.