RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My father passed away in July with an estate of approx 2

Customer Question

My father passed away in July with an estate of approx 2 million dollars. I am the executor. This included many small very old life insurance policies that required a lot of time and effort to track down. It also included old stock certificates that were from defunct companies. Old bonds and annunites. Many hours of work for a retired school teacher to handle. Several parcels of real estate in different counties, taxes ect. What is a fair fee. The heirs are me and my 3 siblings. I want to be compensated for all my efforts but I want to be fair. Please advise.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

In Alabama, you would be entitled to 5% of the estate, plus reimbursement for any expenses you incur in administering the estate.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

The court should award you the 5% on all of these assets plus your costs reimbursed.You can claim IRS mileage if driving was involved or airline travel costs.You would submit it all to the probate court for court approval to claim it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today and a merry Christmas.