MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

What happens upon a death without a will in the state of

Customer Question

What happens upon a death without a will in the state of Alabama, the wife doesn't file probate, but continues to act as if all assets are hers(home, rental properties, insurance, etc.)/
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

When someone dies without a will, the surviving spouse is supposed to open probate to address all outstanding creditors, etc.

If the surviving spouse does not open probate, then anyone that has an interest in the assets can open probate to challenge the survivor.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.