LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

Dirk Albrecht. Successor Co-Trustee rights
, My mom who

Customer Question

Customer: Dirk Albrecht. Successor Co-Trustee rights
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My mom who is a severe stroke victim and became under undue influence created a 5th amendment naming another trustee, I was told to resign as co-trustee. Yet I am named as successor trustee. So now what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's declining health.

Who told you to resign as co-trustee?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The Drafter who influence my mom into 5 amendments.

Thank you. The only person that can tell the co trustee to resign is the settlor (if of sound mind) or the court, unless the trust itself provides otherwise.

If the person is named as successor trustee, then they would be the one to step into the resigned position. If they are the same person, they would just execute a document stating they were not willing to serve in that role.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!

A trustee cannot be forced to serve; it is a voluntary position.

Also if the drafter used undue influence to get the estate planning documents executed, their very validity can be challenged as a court will not allow a trust executed under indue influence to control the estate of the settlor.