CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

In NY do I have to leave my entire estate to my minor

Customer Question

In NY do I have to leave my entire estate to my minor children
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In NY State do I have to leave my entire estate to my two minor children, or may I leave it equally to all nine children upon my death?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

There is no requirement that you leave a particular share of your estate to your minor children.

However, I do always encourage individuals to seek legal counsel when setting up testamentary documents (wills or trusts) as it is often possible to maximize your beneficiaries benefit from the gift or bequest by understanding the tax code and helping to make distributions that will work best with your specific assets and liabilities of your estate. If you do choose to speak with an attorney, You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).