Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My mother was named primary beneficiary on her aunt's life

Customer Question

my mother was named primary beneficiary on her aunt's life insurance policy, does the executor get to decide if she gets any of it? To be clear she is the beneficiary not the estate.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

No, the executor has authority over the insurance proceeds. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by the will and thus not under the control of the estate administration of the executor. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts. The insurance policy proceeds fall within this and are payable directly to your mom.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!