Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

If a person dies with no will who has never married and has

Customer Question

If a person dies with no will who has never married and has no children, is his one living parent the next in line as heir to very small estate
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping.

When there is no will, the person's probate estate is distributed under the Texas intestate succession laws. Under the Texas intestate succession laws set forth in the Texas Estates Code, where there is no surviving spouse or children, the estate would get distributed in the following priorities:

Sec. 201.001. ESTATE OF AN INTESTATE NOT LEAVING SPOUSE. (a) If a person who dies intestate does not leave a spouse, the estate to which the person had title descends and passes in parcenary to the person's kindred in the order provided by this section.

(b) The person's estate descends and passes to the person's children and the children's descendants.

(c) If no child or child's descendant survives the person, the person's estate descends and passes in equal portions to the person's father and mother.

(d) If only the person's father or mother survives the person, the person's estate shall:

(1) be divided into two equal portions, with:

(A) one portion passing to the surviving parent; and

(B) one portion passing to the person's siblings and the siblings' descendants; or

(2) be inherited entirely by the surviving parent if there is no sibling of the person or siblings' descendants.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!