Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

If a man's parents dispersed to the husband prior to a

Customer Question

if a man's parents dispersed to the husband prior to a divorce, how is that money handled in a divorce proceeiing
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Funds received by inheritance or gift are the sole and separate property of the recipient and do not become community property unless commingled (where they become untraceable) or the recipient adds the other spouse to the title. Sole and separate property is not divided in a divorce; only community property. So, the non-receiving spouse has no claim to the other spouse's sole and separate property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!