Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

My sister died in 1997 from cancer. She verbally told me

Customer Question

My sister died in 1997 from cancer. She verbally told me about a month before her death that she was going to leave everything but the house to her 3kids, all in their 20's.. She sounded pretty sure about this. She said her husband , being an only child , would inherit a strong estate.
Sadly I never said anything. I received a letter from an attorney asking if there was anyone with some knowledge of her intentions as the will was in question. Not wanting to get involved I guess because I was still grieving -I didn't respond.
I plan to call and send my brother in law an e mail about this. The kids are in their 40's , one is chronically homeless, one has recently divorced and is a single mom now back in school. I feel very bad that I did not speak up at the correct time.
My sisters kids aren't aware of this . Hopefully my brother in law may believe me -but he is not the most trusting type and has a long term relationship now.he has a good career. I also have a good career and no motive other than guilt.
Should he totally dismiss what I have to say, is there any legal recourse at all?i live in KY.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

At this point if the death occurred in 1997, the statute of limitations and the ability to do anything about this has passed. A spouse cannot disinherit another spouse anyway as the spouse can receive and should receive a share of the other spouse's estate. A verbal declaration of intentions is not binding in anyway. The last will and testimate must be written and recorded along with other various requirements. If some fraud or something else is involved then evidence of the intentions of the decedent can be taken into evidence but this is far from binding.at this point I don't think there is any recourse at all.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Do you have any further questions?

Are you there? Did you have any further questions?