P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

My brother died and he had a will. My sister in law got sick

Customer Question

my brother died and he had a will. My sister in law got sick the following day which was the thanksgiving. She went into the hospital thanksgiving night and went into a coma and died the following wednesday. Is my brothers will still in effect as she did not have time to make a new one?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Sorry...I do not understand what you mean by "is my brothers will still in effect"...why would it not be?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my sister in law died without a will, does that mean that everything stays like my brother wanted it?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
And I am sorry for your recent loss.

The answer the question

Is no...that is, your brother's will is not impacted by your sister in law's death with no will.

If she died with no will, then the laws of the state in which she lived dictate how her estate is divided.

It has no impact on your brother's will.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.