Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

My deceased mother of six years. Died in Delaware county

Customer Question

My deceased mother of six years. Died in Delaware county Oklahoma. My stepfather would not allow us me and my two brothers anything. Because of no will. He said made a Will with a lawyer for everything to be split among his kids and my Mom's kids. He married with in the year of her death. That wife died. Three years later. Three years later he is dead. His kids are now keeping everything, two properties, and her grandmother's antiques. And we get nothing.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

First of all, when your mother died, he were due a part of the estate through intestacy (state law). You and your siblings were due half the estate originally. If your stepfather had a will, that would control and if he provided for you and your siblings in that will, it should control. Did he have a will?

Unfortunately, in Oklahoma, if a stepparent desires to leave part of his estate to his stepchildren, he must explicitly do so via a last will and testament. Oklahoma's laws of intestate succession explain that a stepchild is not entitled to an inheritance as a matter of course, unless the stepparent explicitly provides for his stepchild in his will. So unless he left a will naming you, you would not take anything according to Oklahoma state law.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. )

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Are you there? Did you have any further questions?