Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

Is there a law in Louisiana that prohibits a Living

Customer Question

Is there a law in Louisiana that prohibits a Living Revocable Trust from owning property and receiving homestead exemption?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

No, there is no such law. Transferring your home into a Revocable Living Trust does not impact your right to your homestead exemption. Because it's a revocable trust still under your control, you will still be afforded all of the advantages provided by the Louisiana tax laws. The Louisiana Constitution was amended in 2006 to ensure this homestead exemption would still apply to all persons transferring property into revocable living trusts. Therefore, you have no worries.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!