N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

An Uncle of mine has passed on in LOME TOGO the bank there

Customer Question

An Uncle of mine has passed on in LOME TOGO the bank there is asking for a large sum of money to finalise the transfer. Is this normal?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

No, this is not normal, it is probably what is called an advance fee scam, see

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/emergencies/scams/inheritances.html

You can find lawyers in Togo listed at

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/togo/206034/gbolohoebk/LAWYERS%20LIST.pdf

Only a local attorney in Togo can offer legal advice on this situation, and they will know whether or not any fees are required to receive an inheritance. It is pretty much unheard of for an heir to have to pay any fee, because fees and court costs are taken out of the Estate before the heirs receive their shares.

I am sorry but there is a 99% probability that this is a scam.

If you really had an uncle in Togo that you knew of before you were contacted, I would reconsider my answer, but if this is supposedly some long lost relative,, it is almost certainly a scam.

I hope this information is helpful.

Also, it is highly unusual for them to claim that you have to be there in person to receive an inheritance. If this is a legitimate inheritance, you can retain an attorney in Togo to represent your interests.