P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

My husband died on September 9 2015.He didnt have anything

Customer Question

my husband died on September 9 2015.He didnt have anything of value, such as car ,and we dont own our home. All his has is medical bills and unpaid credit cards. And i keep getting letters from lawyers abouthis estate what can i do?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am truly sorry for your recent loss.

Can you tell me, which state do you live in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
North Carolina
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
The surviving spouse is not held accountable or liable for the deceased’s spouse’s debts.
If the creditors wanted to try and enforce a debt that he owed? They would need to open probate and try and collect from his estate. What you are describing? Since he had no "estate"? There is nothing to recover...so I doubt they even bother (I would be surprised if any of the creditors open probate to try and collect)

You can notify the creditors to stop contacting you. You have no liability for his debts.

Again, I am sorry for your recent loss

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.