Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

I live with a friend and he passed away on November 27 and

Customer Question

I live with a friend for 30years and he passed away on November 27 and he said he was going too get a Will never got one done he lift 7 Dogs and a friend who we took in when he was 8years old and David said he was going too get a Will done put he's family said that David would want Mark HAZEL too have the house too live there because I took care of he and the house and lift me cash to take care of. My expensive of the house
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did your friend have any family?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you friend have family?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has mom
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to make sure I'm insecure in his home
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, without a will your friend's estate would pass through intestate laws. These statutes would require your friend's estate ould go to his mother, as his surviving heir.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

That means that his mother can initiate probate if she wants and take title to the home. You can buy it from or she can gift it to you, if she wants, but, from a legal standpoint, you will need to address the mother's rights to the assets in the estate.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Of course, any personal property in the house which is yours, remains yours.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put I know that David sid he was going too leave me the house but I'm okay being here
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but unless he wrote it in a last will, such a promise is not enforceable. You are going to need to either find a validly executed will or deal with the mother.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talking to you about this how much would it cost me and im on his life insurance policy to
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The insurance is paid to you, as the named beneficiary, outside of probate. It is yours.

What cost do you mean?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant by talk to howYes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talking to you how much this is going to cost me
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I have made an offer for additional services.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok please call me thank s
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you wish to speak on the phone you will need to accept the offer for additional services. Otherwise, we can continue online if you prefer.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you wish to continue?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remeber to leave a rating of my service to you so that I am credited for assisting you ans so that I may close the question. Thank you.