Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

State Farm issued a check re: rate settlement to my wife's

Customer Question

State Farm issued a check re: rate settlement to my wife's father long since deceased. check was made payable to "Baldwin, William A Jr, estate of, c/o Lauren Baldwin.
When her dad passed (in 2009) she set up a a trust account named WA & Joan Baldwin Rev Trust Lauren M. Calderaro Trustee to handle all the estate affairs. That account has now been closed. We have the death certificate, and letters testamentary appointing Laurie as independent executrix and that she qualified as independent executrix on Aug 11, 2009 and we have the trust agreement.
What do we need to do now to deposit said check and close this business out?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

What you will need to do is get a taxpayer ID number from the IRS for the estate if you didn't get one earlier. If you haven't already received one, you can get this in about 10 minutes for no charge at the following IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-%26-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)-Online . When it asks for what kind of entity....check the estate option. Then, with the EIN, the death certificate and the Letters Testamentary, open up a bank account in the name of the estate. Once that account is opened, Laurie, as signatory, can distribute the money from the account. You can then close the account.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!