Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

In April of this year, my mother passed away. My brother, in

Customer Question

In April of this year, my mother passed away. My brother, in Seattle, is executor. My question is, how long is he responsible for paying our mother's bills (hospital, ambulance etc.)? He tells me he is still getting bills from Jan., Feb. and March.
Thank you for your time.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You mean how long is the estate liable, correct? Your brother would not, generally, have any personal liability for your late mother's debts.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Do not know if you are there, but here is the applicable statute regarding the time limits for creditors of the estate to submit their claims:

11.40.051
Claims against decedent—Time limits.

(1) Whether or not notice is provided under RCW 11.40.020, a person having a claim against the decedent is forever barred from making a claim or commencing an action against the decedent, if the claim or action is not already barred by an otherwise applicable statute of limitations, unless the creditor presents the claim in the manner provided in RCW 11.40.070 within the following time limitations:

(a) If the personal representative provided notice under RCW 11.40.020 and the creditor was given actual notice as provided in RCW 11.40.020(1)(c), the creditor must present the claim within the later of: (i) Thirty days after the personal representative's service or mailing of notice to the creditor; and (ii) four months after the date of first publication of the notice;

(b) If the personal representative provided notice under RCW 11.40.020 and the creditor was not given actual notice as provided in RCW 11.40.020(1)(c):

(i) If the creditor was not reasonably ascertainable, as defined in RCW 11.40.040, the creditor must present the claim within four months after the date of first publication of notice;

(ii) If the creditor was reasonably ascertainable, as defined in RCW 11.40.040, the creditor must present the claim within twenty-four months after the decedent's date of death; and

(c) If notice was not provided under this chapter or chapter 11.42 RCW, the creditor must present the claim within twenty-four months after the decedent's date of death.

(2) An otherwise applicable statute of limitations applies without regard to the tolling provisions of RCW 4.16.190.

(3) This bar is effective as to claims against both the decedent's probate and nonprobate assets.