Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

This question is regarding the possible existence of will.

Customer Question

Hi, this question is regarding the possible existence of will. My father just passed. He had 4 children. All through his later life he had told us that he had a will, funeral arrangements. His wife says there is no will, no anything. Without knowing his
lawyers name or anything is there a way to do a will search to look for any documents, policies?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately not. You can look in the county clerk records, sometimes people file them there although there is no requirement that they do so, but other than that all you can do is contact the local lawyers and see if any of them did the will. If so, they would have kept a copy of it and a copy will work as well as the original.

In addition, you may want to look at the deceased's bank records for the last few years and see if you can spot a check made out to a lawyer. We have used that method in the past to find who prepared a will.