Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

In the State of Minnesota, with two properties titled

Customer Question

In the State of Minnesota, with two properties titled Tenants in common, and going throught probate, I was the only child of the deceased that was mentioned in the will. Does the tenants in common property go to the surviving spouse or to the children mentioned in the will?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the property was titled as tenants in common, that means that if there were two owners, each owns 50% of the property and that 50% would then transfer down through their estate to their heirs at law (if no will) or to the beneficiaries of any will as directed.

.

Only if it was titled as "joint tenants" would the surviving owner become the automatic sole owner upon one owner's death.

.

.

thanks