Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

Someone from Hong Kong contacted me to tell me that I may be

Customer Question

Someone from Hong Kong contacted me to tell me that I may be getting an inheritance from someone with the same last name as me.
He wants me to send him a copy of my Passport to verify my identity and to open an offshore bank account in which to deposit the inheritance in.
Then I am to will send him 60% of the amount which is over $50,000,000.
It doesnt legit.
Is it?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Unfortunately no, this is a common scam that has been going around for the past year or so and we see at least a dozen of these a week here and none of them are ever legitimate. If you have inherited some amount of money, you NEVER have to pay something to get it. Any fees or taxes would be withheld by the executor of the estate prior to any disbursement. So this is a red flag of a scam. Another one is that they want you to pay them by some untraceable method like Western Union, Money Pak, etc. And typically they will contact you via the internet or email to initiate communications.. They are sending tens of thousands of these out and hoping that they will get one or two to "bite" so they can swindle them...

.

So no, this is definitely not a real inheritance and is a known scam so make sure that you do not give them any personal information about yourself at all or you could become a victim of identity theft as well.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks