Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My husband died intestate we both were in process of buying

Customer Question

My husband died intestate we both were in process of buying into my father in laws farming operation and we bought into his Corp. My father in law just passed away in 2014 but I was never told about what all we were involved in I found it after studying and hrs of research the I believe I am an heir but was not listed as a beneficiary I am the only farming heir.The beneficiarys decided to sell all the ground all assets have been distributed and the estate is looking to be closed. They closed the corp. I made an appointment with the estate attorney and spoke with him about legal papers with signatures legal documents he had drawn up for us through the years he denied knowing anything and I explained that I believed I am an heir and have been left out this was before Corp had been closed and estate still not settled I wanted to buy the house from my mother in law and had loan approval as my hog farm is attached to the house, she said no and sold it to my son he didn't have the money so she paid for it and told him when he received his money he could pay her back. I don't know what to do. I can't seem to find a lawyer that wants to he me. Can I do something at courthouse on my own or would the attorney have to make courts aware their is an unlisted heir?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What state is this in?

Was there a will?

You said you were purchasing the corporation, was that in both your name and your husband's name?

Why do the estate attorneys not want to represent you as a surviving spouse?