Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

Are you entitled to insurance poicy and you are the

Customer Question

Are you entitled to insurance poicy and you are the beneficiary but you got divorced am I still entitled to payment.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

When a married couple divorces, unlike with a will, the beneficiary/spouse of a life insurance policy is not automatically removed from the policy. So, unless your divorce decree specifically addressed this, your divorce would not terminate your rights as a beneficiary if your divorced spouse did nothing post-divorce to change the beneficiary designation. Insurance companies have specific requirements in order to make a change of a beneficiary. If those aren't followed, the beneficiary designation remains unchanged in the event of a divorce.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!