Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

I was in Spain in August 2015 and a woman who knew my

Customer Question

I was in Spain in August 2015 and a woman who knew my husband came to the house where I was staying and because she knew I was from the New York area, asked me to find out what happened to her brother, whom she had not heard from in one year. He lived alone in New York City, was not married and had no family in the United States. I found out he had died September 2014. Can I be appointed his estate administrator? Do I need a lawyer to do that? As far as I can find out, he had no real estate property. I'm assuming he has a bank account. I sent his sister an application to get his death certificate.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. To clarify - is her brother your husband and you and he were separated? If so, formally via the Court or informally? Also, did he have a Will?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!