Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My aunt passed on Oct 9th I found the orginal will Oct 17th.

Customer Question

My aunt passed on Oct 9th I found the orginal will Oct 17th. I wanted to file the will in the morning but it is causing issues with my place of employment my aunt lived in a different county than I do. Can I wait a week to file the will or is it best to
file as soon as possible.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You have much more time than one week to file the will for probate. Actually, a petition for probate of a Kansas Last Will and Testament must only be filed within six (6) months of the testator’s death under Section 59-617 of the Kansas Probate Code.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!