RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My deceased brother was an executor of a trust man's adult

Customer Question

My deceased brother was an executor of a trust for a man's adult son. I am the executor of my brothers estate. The son ordered me via ny surrogate court to provide an accounting of his father's estate which I know nothing about.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You may need to return to Surrogate Court here asking the judge for clarification.If you have no financial records try to negotiate some resolution.As executor you can obtain bank records and tax returns for the estate filed by your father.So you may have to get some records here, this is negotiable.

You are likely going to need a probate lawyer locally both for your father's estate and resolution of this matter.It is very possible here the sun files a creditor claim so researching it now makes sense and then appear in front of the judge.As executor for your father the estate has liability here for his actions while he was alive.Try to resolve it here if possible with another hearing.

The lawyer for your father's estate should help you with this.This is going to be part of your duties as executor to

provide what information that you can and accept creditor claims here if they claim he violated his duties.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Trust accounting forms here that you would use..

https://www.nycourts.gov/forms/surrogates/accounting.shtml

If it was an estate rather than a trust here you use no trust forms.

Thanks again..