Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My brother and I recently lost our father who died in s

Customer Question

my brother and I recently lost our father who died in his home. He has other real estate I am receiving SSI and my brother in California and in Arkansas. I am receiving SSI
ans my brother is receiving SSDI (or DSSI). The problem is that our father didn;t leave a willbility
benefits. We will receive/inherit his property ashis surviving children. Me and my brother
need to know if inherting/receiving the property will affect our social security disability
benefits. WILL THIS CAUSE US (SEVERLY DISABLED PEOPLE) TO BE CUT OFF OUR
BENEFTS? Please respond ASAP to***@******.***. Thanking you in advance,
I am. ***** *****
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

There are no asset limits for SSDI so your brother's benefits should not be affected. As to SSI, there is a maximum asset limit of $2,000 including money, property, investments. Therefore, by inheriting the real estate, it would affect your benefits. Perhaps consulting with a local estate attorney to see if a special needs trust could allow you to inherit the property but at the same time retain your benefits would be a good idea.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.