Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I am presently on social security disability, since 1989. I

Customer Question

I am presently on social security disability, since 1989. I am expecting to get an inheritance from my ex boyfriend. He died last Friday, he put my name on his insurance policy 4 years ago. I have a payee they take care of my disability payments, I get $1000 per month I do not want them to have control over my inheritance I'm not quit sure how much I'll recievece til the funeral services are paid, so I'm just checking it out, Im asking if it will affect my disability money and how.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

.

No, it will not affect your SSDI benefits since they are not based on your assets, but rather on the underlying disability that qualify you to receive benefits. So you could have a million dollars and still qualify for SSDI. It is SSI that is asset and income based and could be terminated if you inherited assets so as to put you over the $2,000 limit for individuals.

.

And if you are named as the direct beneficiary, then those insurance proceeds would be paid directly to you..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Um from my understanding, you are allowed to have up to $2000 in a bank account, I was scammed a few month back, the check was a bad check. I was trying to get an online loan, so I'm like black listed by chex systems what can I do
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what your prior check scam issue has to do with your question about insurance proceeds and SSDI...

.

And you are correct, as I stated earlier, you would be allowed to have up to $2,000 in assets and still qualify for SSI...But we are talking about SSDI here.. and it is not dependent on your assets.

.

So the insurance money is paid directly to you and won't affect your benefits.

.

.

thanks

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh sorry , I'm not able to get a bank account at a different bank
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, they will issue you a check, but if you don't have an account, you may have to see if you can actually cash it at the issuing bank, if there is one locally, or endorse it over to someone you trust so they can deposit it and then when it clears, give you the money from their account.

.

Or you can see if the bank would reconsider your ban if you are making a substantial deposit.

.

.

thanks