RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

I am the personal representative estate that is in probate

Customer Question

I am the personal representative for an estate that is in probate in S.C. there is an automobile in this estate that I cannot locate a title on. It was original owned by the decedents sister-in-law who passed away several years ago. The car was moved from
Ga. to SC and has sat at the decedents home for several years. I need to sell this car to settle the estate. How do I go about getting a title?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.Here you can get the title from SC dmv.Here is the form.If you look at the top there are multiple boxes moving toward right check duplicate title.Fill it out , take it with you to SC dmv here to get duplicate title.You need you letters testamentary or of administration to show them at dmv.This authorizes you to get the copy and sign title etc. if you need to transfer title as well.

Form

http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/forms/400.pdf

Reference..

http://www.dmv.org/sc-south-carolina/replacing-a-lost-title.php

Once you have title here you can sign on behalf of the deceased , and complete a sale and transfer of title.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

DUPLICATE TITLE1)___ Lost ___ Stolen or ___ Destroyed Title

2)$15.00 title fee--look for this box to check on form above.

Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Pay the fee here out of estate account as it is an estate expense.