Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

My sister was convicted in US Fed Court of over $250,000.

Customer Question

My sister was convicted in US Fed Court for embezzlement of over $250,000. She was ordered to pay restitution. My grandmother willed a house to me, my sister, and my cousin. Can I buy my sister's 1/3 or is it going to be taken for restitution? She owes me a lot of money. Will I be able to keep this house in my family by buying it from restitution? It is only worth $30,000 each. Thank your for your assistance. Lisa
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your sister. I am afraid that anything that would be hers may be attached towards restitution, either by action of the US Attorney's Office or by private civil action of the victim. Because of this, purchasing any of her assets from her after she has been convicted is "risky," because it can easily be argued that the assets was being "hidden" to avoid being attached.

As such, while this is possible, it is not recommended.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!