Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I am in receipt of a Receipt, Consent and Waiver of Notice

Customer Question

I am in receipt of a Receipt, Consent and Waiver of Notice from an Iowa lawyer regarding a probated estate. He asked me to sign the form before I receive a check. However the form states I have "received all money and property", which I haven't. Why would a lawyer ask me to sign such a doc and return it to him before he sends the money? Is that legal in Iowa?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

It is legal but I would not sign such a form that is untruthful as you have not received all monies as the form states. receive the money, then sign the form if the remaining information on the form is accurate.

Perhaps the attorney is requiring such signature to speed the process along of the attorney was unaware of the fact that you have yet to receive the monies. Contacting the attorney explaining that you have not yet received the monies may resolve the misunderstanding.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.